Val Kovalin's Reviews > Bartender, PI

3194968
Apr 17, 2012

Recommended to Val by: Ami
Read in May, 2012

Linc is a former hockey star forced to leave the game under cloud of scandal. He takes work as a bartender, then picks up a private investigator's license to work cases on the side. His first one involves getting photographic proof for a wealthy lady of her husband's infidelity. But things are far from what they seem.

Meanwhile, despite Linc being willing to go to great comical lengths to do his job, he keeps getting foiled by the husband's bodyguard Brady, whose amused attitude toward Linc develops toward friendship and attraction.

Bartender PI is a total delight to read, and its strength lies in the very literal perspective of Linc. Our hero isn’t stupid because he manages to figure out the real story behind the increasingly bizarre case. But he’s no intellectual either.

He has an absolutely hilarious tendency toward malapropisms (sometimes on purpose, I think) in the grand tradition of Yankees ballplayer Yogi Berra, who famously said, "It ain't over till it's over." (Yogi Berra also said while giving directions, "When you come to a fork in the road, take it," and my personal favorite, "It's déja vu all over again.")

My favorite Linc-ism had to be his description of a yacht: “It looked like it could move like greased light bulbs,” but I also loved, “I had to piss like a seahorse.” OMG, I laughed so hard at both of those. I’m still laughing now as I type this. Don't miss this comic gem! Highly recommended.

Recommended read in gay romance recs for All Romance Ebooks newsletter.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bartender, PI.

♥Laddie♥ (Lee Lee) I loved "I had to piss like a seahorse".

message 2: by Val (new) - added it