Oriana's Reviews > The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon

Mar 18, 2007

bookshelves: phenomenal, read-pre-goodreads
Read in January, 2004

This is the most disassociating book I've ever read. Try to read it all in one sitting -- it will totally fuck with your head and make you forget how to be normal.
216 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time.

02/01 marked as: read

Mark Hi Oriana,

I really, really loved this book too. I thought it pointed out with absolute guilelessness that our suppositions of what is normal are far from it. The way that the boy with autism reflected what the others around him said and did, the crazy things they said and did, was an extraordinary and clear reflection. And I loved the descriptions of his groaning episodes. Don't we all do that, in ways, when we comfort ourselves by whatever means we use -- food, sex, substances, etc? Have you read his follow-up book, A Spot of Bother? It is very good as well, although not at all about autism. I highly recommend it.

Mark

message 2: by Oriana (last edited Sep 15, 2008 05:35PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Oriana I am totally due to re-read this wonderful book. I did read A Spot of Bother, which I enjoyed very much, but was not remotely in the same stratosphere as Curious Incident. I've been meaning to read his poetry, too, but haven't gotten to it yet.

Jennifer (aka EM) Haddon writes poetry? That's good to know ... although, I must admit I'm surprised. Even in Curious Incident (and I agree with you it was leaps and bounds superior to Spot of Bother) it was not the language that was so impressive, as much as the unique and perfectly rendered POV.

Thank you for the review!

Oriana Yeah, I was surprised to, to learn about the poetry too, because I agree, his language per se is not what makes his work so stunning, to me. But maybe we should both go get The Talking Horse and the Sad Girl and the Village Under the Sea before we make any decisions!

Jennifer (aka EM) Thanks for the link! The reviews appear to be lukewarm at best. Let me know if you end up reading it :-)

Tilly I read somewhere that the book was originally written for children/young adults. Does anyone know if this is true?
Also I was told not to bother reading the next novel by someone I know as it would only dissapoint me. I gather that this isn't the general consensus here though, is it worth risking my hero worship of haddon on? I seemed to develop one after reading the curious incident!

Oriana I don't know about your first question, Tilly, but to your second: I think it's best to approach A Spot of Bother as if it's not written by Haddon at all. It's a nice book, maybe even a pretty good book, on its own, but if you're hoping (as I of course was) for something on par with Curious Incident, you're bound to be disappointed.

Lisa Willard I agree. It's meant to be read in one sitting.

message 9: by El Avestruz (new)

El Avestruz Liado Yes, I know it is totally unrelated to this book. But, have you read "The tunnel" by Sabato? Also meant to be read in a single sitting and heck, that was (for me) the pinnacle of dissociation.

Oriana I haven't! But now I'm extremely intrigued, thanks. On the to-read shelf it goes!

Linda I agree with you, Oriana. It fucked with my head (and made me feel like I am a closet autistic/asperger), but in a very good, fascinating way. I turned it on (listened to the Audible version) and couldn't stop listening until it was over!)

Oriana Such an amazing, powerful book.

MomToKippy It makes you reassess what normal really is. How "normal" were all the people surrounding Christopher?

Phuong To yep, this messed with my mind in a good way

message 15: by Sanvir (new) - added it

Sanvir Manilal While reading this book, my mum called me. I didn't laugh at any of her jokes. I feel horrible now. Thanks Mark Haddon

Oriana Ha!

Joaquín Jiménez Your review is pretty accurate.

Carol I read it in one sitting and I enjoyed it and it didn't mess with my head. I like to learn how other people think and I can understand just about anything.