Rachelle's Reviews > Austenland

Austenland by Shannon Hale

Aug 28, 2008

Read in August, 2008

I picked up this book at about 10:30 last night thinking that I would just read the prologue to get the basic idea and then start it tomorrow. Alas... it was not meant to be. After about a half hour I whispered an apology to Aaron and slipped out of bed to go read in the living room. After reading late into the night and a quick nap (okay 5 1/2 hours) I got up this morning and didn't stop until I finished it. This book is so entertaining. I read a lot and I have often had a book bring me to tears... but I honestly can't remember the last time I read a book that had me laughing out loud through the entire thing. The main character is obsessed with Jane Austen's writings and particularly with the BBC version of Pride and Prejudice starring Colin Firth (If you haven't seen it you can borrow mine and if you don't want to see it then believe me this book is not for you.) The book is stuffed full of Jane Austen's best lines and references to her timeless characters. And yet... they clash with Jane Hayes modern world in such a funny way (example: "Jane announced to the empty room, 'if you're listening, Big Brother, I refuse to be Fanny Price.'') When reading other reviews of this book.... there were not many raving reviews like mine so I have to realize that it is perhaps not the most well written book of all time... but for me, who related to the main character in (almost) every way... it was PERFECT. I have watched the same parts of Pride and Prejudice over and over just like the main character - and even though I am (somewhat) embarrassed by it - (just like the main character)... I don't expect to ever get over my obsession. I'm glad that Jane Hayes doesn't either.... she just has to find her own Mr. Darcy.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Austenland.

07/26/2016 marked as: read