Jacob Proffitt's Reviews > Star of the Morning

Star of the Morning by Lynn Kurland

Apr 17, 2012

bookshelves: fantasy, romance, owned
Read from May 08 to 10, 2012

I really enjoyed this book. When making the decision to buy it, I noticed that a number of reviewers were dismissive of it because of the heavy romance influence. They felt it was a fantasy-flavored romance novel rather than a romance-flavored fantasy. I pulled the trigger on purchasing largely because this intrigued me. I mean, I like both genres and couldn't care less which dominates.

If you're curious, I disagree with those dismissing the novel—at least for my own tastes. Yes, like the force in Luke Skywalker, the romance is strong in Star of the Morning. And it's a wonderful romance. Morgan falling in love was a hoot. And I really liked Miach (whose name I can only read as "Micah" in my head). But, while important to the characters, it doesn't dominate the story or plot nor does it warp the setting. Indeed, I wish it had conformed more to romance convention (view spoiler)

The thing I disliked most about the book was Morgan's irrational hatred of all things magical. In a world of active, observable magic, her reaction is as illogical as it is impractical. Mages shape a good part of her world and insisting that they're all unreliable and "unmanly" flies directly in the face of the historical record. After all, the biggest threat to the stability of the realm is a magical one and the more good guys who can fight on that front, the better, I'd think. Morgan is otherwise a highly practical, even utilitarian, person. Having such a debilitating, deliberate blind spot weakened my respect for her and disconnected me from her as a character.

Morgan's blind spot with magic excepted, the story was a fun ride and I can't wait to get my hands on the next book. I really liked Morgan as a character and can’t wait to see her progress now that she is irrevocably pushed out of her comfort zone. Her magical heritage is undeniable by the end of the book (hardly a spoiler as that heritage is clear from early pages) and she is going to have to learn to confront/accommodate it or risk both her love and her kingdom. For someone used to fighting solely on a physical plane, that is going to be a huge adjustment to make.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Star of the Morning.

05/09/2012 page 152