Christina (Confessions of a Book Addict)'s Reviews > Such a Rush

Such a Rush by Jennifer Echols

Aug 20, 12

bookshelves: beach-read, young-adult
Read from July 20 to 24, 2012

Leah isn't your average girl next door. She lives in a trailer park adjacent a small airport and her mom is never around. Even when her mom is around, she isn't reliable, but Leah is determined to not end up like her. Leah gets a job at the nearby airport working for Mr. Hall, who is the owner of a banner advertising business. He takes Leah under his wings and teaches her everything she needs to know about being a pilot. As the years go by, Mr. Hall offers Leah a legitimate job as a pilot working for him and things start to come together for Leah. However, Mr. Hall unexpectedly dies and the company falls into the hands of his two teenage sons, Grayson and Alec. This becomes an awkward situation because Leah has had a crush on Grayson for years. Things start to become very complicated. Jennifer Echol's Such a Rush is the perfect summertime read. It's edgy, it's sexy, it's romantic and undeniably real.

Jennifer Echols is one of my favorite contemporary authors. Her novels are always my go-to summertime reads that always maintain a good blend of everything that readers love about contemporary fiction. This is also the case in Such a Rush. Fans of Echols won't be disappointed!

Echols created such a unique character in Leah. She is fiercely independent, determined, and the classic underdog. She really grew on me and I felt such sympathy for her as she situation is not easy for a high school student. Echols also created a dreamy love interest in Grayson. He's definitely one of my favorite characters that Echols has created to date and I loved to hate him! The chemistry between Leah and Grayson is undeniable and I thoroughly enjoyed the romance between the two. It definitely sizzled!

Another thing that I loved about this book was all the details about being a pilot. I've never read a book about planes and I found it to be so interesting, mostly because who doesn't love the planes that fly by at the beach with fun advertisements flapping in the wind behind them? The sound of the planes at the beach are so comforting and definitely part of my childhood, so I was able to relate to that aspect of Such a Rush. Plus, being a pilot is downright sexy (Top Gun, anyone?) and Echols really makes this aspect of the novel red-hot.

Lastly, there's a lot of drama in Such a Rush, which I loved. Leah is bullied by many mean girls at her school quite since she lives on the "wrong side of the tracks." I loathed these mean girls and I loved how Leah would give it right back to them. Thankfully, she has one good friend that makes for a total opposites attract relationship; however, their friendship includes some girl drama as well. Echols does drama better than most contemporary authors; it's brilliant and perfect mind candy.

If you are a fan of Echols, you'll love her latest novel, Such a Rush, and if you have never read Echols before, you must pick up Such a Rush this summer. I highly recommend it!
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Such a Rush.

07/22/2012 page 85
show 1 hidden update…

Kristi oh! i hope you like this one!!!

Christina (Confessions of a Book Addict) So far I am really enjoying...gotta love Echols!

Kristi Christina wrote: "So far I am really enjoying...gotta love Echols!"

isn't she fabulous! i just love all her books.