Katie_la_geek's Reviews > Tomorrow Land

Apr 17, 2012

it was ok
bookshelves: ebook-arc, ya
Read from April 17 to 18, 2012

Review posted at: http://chattygirlbookreviews.wordpres...

Tomorrow Land is one of those books that had a lot of potential but failed to deliver. It was a struggle for me from beginning to end.

The chapter structures were a little off-putting. They switched between the year 2030 and 2034. They also switched between characters. All in all this just confused me.

It all just felt a little too far-fetched. There is a love story, a corrupt government, drug addiction, zombie/monsters, a girl who has been genetically altered to be a cross between Wolverine and the Bionic Woman and a safe haven at Disney Land.

The characters are alright, but they (like everything else) are over the top. It is almost like they are trying too hard to be cool. It is the way they act and the things they say, here is an example:

“Stay back, Pus-head,” she growled. “Unless you want to be sliced and diced.” (This is Peyton, talking to a zombie/monster that has three eyes…and she is being serious.)

I could almost get behind this idea of a ‘Bionic woman/Wolverine’ but she is still kind of weak and relies heavily on Chris (who is a drug addict which seemed a bit unnecessary.) I don’t want to be mean but at times it read like a soap opera.

At the end of the day this book just did nothing for me, I couldn’t get into it and it didn’t hold my interest.

Like I said above, the concept was great and there are moments when that concept hits the mark, but those moments are rare. Another thing I liked was that this book is a stand-alone, the YA market is dominated by series so this made a nice change.

But despite some positives this book just wasn’t for me. There is so much Dystopian YA out there and unfortunately, in my opinion, this just doesn’t hold its own against them.

*The publisher provided me with this book for review, via Netgalley.*
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tomorrow Land.

04/18/2012