Sandy's Reviews > Terminal Ambition, A Maggie Mahoney Novel

Terminal Ambition, A Maggie Mahoney Novel by Kate McGuinness

Apr 17, 2012

bookshelves: suspense, thriller, women-s-issues
Recommended for: women, people interested in gender equality, attorneys, lovers of suspense
Read on April 17, 2012 — I own a copy , read count: 1

AN IMPORTANT BOOK FOR SOCIETY, AND A GREAT READ.

I highly recommend this book. It's a riveting read on all fronts. Terminal Ambition has an opening chapter you'll never forget. The writing is as high-quality as any you'll find. The author drops you into the lightning-speed, competitive atmosphere of the highest levels of a major law firm. It feels like you're there: The dialogue, descriptions of the clothing, homes, and offices--everything about book's characters and their lifestyles is spot on. Which you would expect, given that the author was a partner in a major law firm. She knows her stuff.

This book would satisfy if it were only a legal thriller, but it's more than that. Its subject is sexual discrimination and harassment in a huge legal institution. This is a topic that maters to all of us, not just women. I have not experienced the criminal harassment that some of the women in this book do. I do know women who have; it's something that spreads across the industries of our nation. From what one of my friends told me, when she finally got the courage up to complain to the highest levels of her company, her bosses did--exactly nothing. I would say that their lack of action damaged their personal integrity. And the perpetrator faced no consequences at all. What did untrammeled freedom to abuse do for his character? The issues raised in this book are important for our society--and our souls.

There's more. Author Kate McGuinness includes the first chapter of the sequel to Terminal Ambition. Wow! It looks like book #2 in the series will be as thrilling and suspenseful as book #1. I hope she writes fast!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Terminal Ambition, A Maggie Mahoney Novel.