Michelle Madow's Reviews > Masque of the Red Death

Masque of the Red Death by Bethany Griffin

Apr 19, 12

bookshelves: dystopian, steampunk, read-in-2012
Read from April 17 to 19, 2012

I heard such great things about Masque of Red Death, and I was really excited to read the book. The premise of the story is fascinating -- it's what I think of as a "steampunk dystopian," and the world is suffering from a contagion called the Weeping Sickness. (I love stories about survivors of plagues, which is another reason why this book was something I wanted to read!)

The author did a great job with the world building of this story. It felt very realistic, and she described it very vividly. I could picture everything perfectly in my head while I was reading. Unfortunately I didn't connect with the main character, Araby, as much as I wanted to. I'm not a hundred percent sure why, but I had a disconnect with understanding her motivations behind the things she did, and it lessened my enjoyment of this story. She was also very depressed and even suicidal, so she didn't have a strong will to live. I prefer stories about protagonists who have a strong will to survive in tough situations. I think I would have enjoyed this story better if it had been told from April's perspective opposed to Araby's. I loved all the scenes with April in them, and wanted to see more of her in the story.

The parts of this story that stood out to me were when Araby was with Will. I felt more of an emotional connection during those scenes, especially the ones where Will's siblings were involved. Elliott as a love interest did not appeal to me -- he did some crazy things in the middle of the book, and I hope Araby ends up with Will.

I wanted to like this book more than I did, but I seem to be in a minority because lots of people are loving it.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Masque of the Red Death.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Hannah I agree with you on most of that. I felt like there was more potential than she gave.