A.L. Sowards's Reviews > Daughter of Helaman

Daughter of Helaman by Misty Moncur

2048362
Somewhere between three and four stars.

Keturah is obsessed with joining the militia made up of young Ammonite warriors determined to defend their families and their liberty from the Lamanite Armies (60-something BC). Her only obstacle is that she’s a girl.

What I liked about this book: Misty Moncur does a good job with the religious aspects of the story. Sometimes authors throw religion into the story and it bogs the plot-line down, but I felt the religion in this story added to the characters and the plot. The writing was good and the characters were well-developed. There were also some nice themes dealing with forgiveness and I thought the backstory about her father was interesting.

What I didn’t love about this book: Teenagers. I like them in real life, but not always as narrators in books. Keturah seemed like a teenager from this century, and I thought that was a little bit of a stretch for the time period. On the other hand, it might make her easier to relate to for current teens. I thought she should have just been content to help her mom as a healer when the army moves out, but Keturah is so certain she’s supposed to fight. She’s almost bloodthirsty, which is an interesting contrast to her firm faith that the Lord will protect the little Ammonite Army.

I’d recommend this book if you like YA historical fiction with love triangles. It’s the first in a series, so be prepared to follow Keturah and her brothers and her two boyfriends on their next adventures as the war heats up.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Daughter of Helaman.