Quiana's Reviews > Two Halves

Two Halves by Marta Szemik

Apr 29, 12

bookshelves: demons, paranormal, romance, vampires, warlocks, witches
Read from April 27 to 29, 2012 — I own a copy, read count: Once

I read the synopsis for Two Halves by Marta Szemik, and I was immediately intrigued. The premise sounded interesting, as well as promising. It had a lot of the elements I usually enjoy when I read paranormal books. There was good versus evil; a variety of supernatural creatures such as vampires, demons, witches and warlocks. There was even a dash of romance, but in the end, all of these elements failed to capture and hold my attention.

This was a slow read for me. I had a difficult time getting into the story. There was an interesting development at the very start, but after that, the story dragged for most of the book. Nevertheless, the pace picked up near the end, but by that time, I’d lost interest in the story and the characters.

Sarah was the narrator, and most of the story was told in first person. However, there were several instances where the point of view switched to other characters. I usually don’t have a problem when this happens, but the author often switched from first person to third person, which was confusing, disruptive, and took me out of the story.

Also, there were too many flashback and daydream sequences liberally sprinkled throughout the story. Sara would be in the middle of a conversation with William or another character, only for the conversation to be interrupted by a flashback or daydream; it was very jarring. All in all, it was a slow and choppy read.

The characters for the most part were flat. I never became emotionally attached or invested in any of them, particularly Sarah and William. They weren’t unpleasant to read about. I didn’t dislike any of the characters (Well, I disliked the evil characters); they just didn’t resonate with me as a reader. I understood what made Sarah tick. She was lonely, unsure of her true path. She feared and hated her vampire half; suppressed her vampire side in order to keep up the appearance of being only human. Even knowing this, I was still unable to relate to her character.

William was especially difficult to relate to. There were some things revealed about his past, but I never felt as if I knew him. His identity was too entangled with Sarah’s; therefore, I never got a sense of who he was outside of Sarah. To be fair, this is the first book in a series, so there’s room for character development in future installments.

I also had an issue with the romance between Sarah and William, which, in my opinion, seemed contrived. I know they were destined to be together,and that they knew each other through dreams, but there was something missing. I’ve read stories where the romantic leads were destined to be together; sometimes the premise works, sometimes it doesn’t, this time it’s the latter. In the end, their relationship just didn’t work for me.

Overall, I give Two Halves two stars. The premise was interesting, but in the end, the story, the characters, and the romance didn’t quite live up to my expectations.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Two Halves.

04/27/2012
23.0% "The premise is interesting, but so far, the story has yet to capture and hold my attention. I'm struggling to get through this book."