Tim's Reviews > Triggers

Triggers by Robert J. Sawyer

Apr 17, 12

bookshelves: science-fiction
Read in April, 2012

I actually read this serialized in Analog Science Fiction and Fact where it was printed over 4 issues. That said, according to the author there's only minor differences (and not to story) with the book version.

The book is centred around a very interesting premise that an experiment causes various people's minds to be linked together, but they only can read one other person's mind (and it's not reciprocal). However, since one of the people linked is the President of the US, this causes definite security concerns.

It reads like a mix of a science fiction novel and a Tom Clancy novel. It's for this reason I'm not that big on the book. It ends up kind of coming up short on both sides of this equation. It doesn't explore the premise quite as well as it could and it's not the best political thriller either (although it doesn't really try very hard on the latter).

This author has some excellent books (e.g., the WWW trilogy, or Calculating God) so I'd recommend that people look there first. This isn't a bad book, it's just not as good as some of his others.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Triggers.