Lauryn April's Reviews > Under the Never Sky

Under the Never Sky by Veronica Rossi

Apr 17, 2012

liked it

This book had an interesting concept, one that despite its comparisons to "The Hunger Games," which it was nothing like, I found to be original. Veronica Rossi has created two futuristic worlds in this book both showing opposite ways the human race could have evolved. One is a super-high tech civilization where we rely on technology to survive; and the other a primitive civilization where human's senses and instincts have evolved to help us survive. Despite my interest in her concept however I found this book somewhat underdeveloped. Rossi had nice imagery, but it was more descriptive than lyrical and I found myself confused by her explanation of the "smarteye" and just how did it really look, as well as why the Aether is how it is.

This book starts out really slow. Not to say that there isn't action in the beginning, just that it comes with little explanation, then the book gets bogged down with a good amount of background info, and yet still not enough to answer all my questions. It took the plot a long time to form. I feel the first quarter of this book could have been removed completely and the important pieces told to us through flashbacks. I think this would have been far more effective and concise for the reader. I did, however, become far more interested in the story once Aria and Perry reunited and were forced to be allies, but the pent up sexual tension and him "hoisting her against his side" felt too much like a cheesy romance novel at first. I did like their snarky interaction. I liked how they both seemed more human to one another as time went on and for the most part, their relationship developed naturally. It was their relationship that kept me reading.

While I enjoyed their relationship, there were a few plot clichés which really bothered me and I think affected it negatively. Usually I'm able to look past clichés when they're used correctly but there were a few that felt like they were there for no reason. Such as Perry thinking he's cursed because of what happened to his mother or the "rendering" that happens between two people. I felt like there was no purpose for Aria and Perry to "render" to one another, the story would have gone on just the same had they just "realized they liked on another".

Also, I was glad to see some adult themes like the mentioning of sex in the realms, but then when Aria has sex in the real for the first time we don't even get to read about it from her POV. We get a nice and sweet, but short scene that doesn't even bother to tell us if it is "better" in the real or not, even though they had just talked about whether or not it would be over dinner. I think had they not been discussing this pages earlier I would not have minded the brevity of this scene, but their discussion raised questions that were not answered.

Throughout the whole book the plot felt week. The only part that I felt was truly well developed was when Cinder was introduced, there was mystery about him and he moved the storyline alone with the other characters, but his actions ended up being completely predictable in the end when he saved Perry and Aria. One nice surprise was at the end (spoiler) when Vale's true intentions came out. Most of the ending was foreseeable and uninspiring, but I was surprised by what had happened with Vale. In the end this book didn't hold my attention enough to make me want to read more. I still have unanswered questions that I assume would be answered in the next book, but I don't think this one captivated me enough to read on.

For More Reviews by Lauryn April, go to http://laurynapril.blogspot.com

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Under the Never Sky.