Little Paper Rose's Reviews > The Summer I Turned Pretty

The Summer I Turned Pretty by Jenny Han

Apr 26, 12

- Review taken from my YA book blog Little Paper Rose

This is a collected review of the entire series.

Even though the description of the first installment, ‘The Summer I Turned Pretty’, is quite vague it is exactly as it should be.
These books are complex in simple formats. Han has worked off a storyline, a plot, that to the roots is simple but she’s made something so honest and heartbreaking and real out of it. The story is told in flashes between the past and the present. It’ll take you to love and heartbreak, growing, finding your way - and back. The setting offers a plain but in description angelic beach. The cover of ‘We’ll Always Have Summer’ is so right on the dot.

Belly grows a whole lot throughout the three installments. She starts off young, naive, and oblivious; making things happen for herself going by all the wrong ways. Sometimes you wish to have been able to just shake her up, trying to get her to her senses.

Conrad and Jeremiah are opposites. Not at all stereotypical as in YA writing. They’re very real, going about in realistic manners. These are real teenage boys, struggling and rebellious. I didn't fall for either one of them instantly but they grew on me. Han does an excellent job of not making you particularly gravitate towards one of the brothers more than the other (I was torn until the last book).

Although I found the books to be quite slow and somewhat flat, and the last installment to be messy and less believable. It’s how Han has succedeed to pair simple words together and make genuine and beautiful phrases that’ll pull at your heartstrings.

Overall, the ‘Summer’ series is a beautiful work. You’ll be struck by the genuine voice and the painful honesty. It'll leave you feeling something.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Summer I Turned Pretty.