Jessica Scranton's Reviews > My Side of the Mountain

My Side of the Mountain by Jean Craighead George

7519749
Apr 17, 12

bookshelves: eced221

My Side of the Mountain was a book written about a young boy named Sam who runs away from his city life home to live in the wilderness. The story starts off with Sam already in the woods, and most of the book is written about Sam talking about his time living in the wildreness and the experiences he encountered and the "friends" he made. Sam reminices on his fight to become self sufficient and his struggles he encountered living outside. The novel ends a year later when Sam's family comes to find him and tells him they have decided to come live on the farm and build a house there. Sam is upset with the fact that he will no longer live his what has become "normal" life, but is happy to see the people he loves.
I thought the book was good. It would definately attract the interest of children. In terms of being realistic, in my point of view, this would not happen in real life. No twelve year old child would ever get away with living in the woods for a year without his family coming to get him. Although it seems unrealisitc the plot was still well written. Children will be drawn to the adventures Sam encountered and all of the things we was able to learn to do. The characters were well described and the reader was really able to get a sense of who each character was, especially Sam. I think children would enjoy this story if they are interested in nature. It was mainly about survival and for a child who finds that sort of stuff interesting this book would be great. The book was very believable, but in my opinion only for children. For adults, to actually think about the plot and stroyline it is hard to believe this would actuallly happen. If i were to use this in the classroom I would discuss the nature aspects of the book as well as the theme of never giving up and really following your dreams.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My Side of the Mountain.