Allison's Reviews > Fifty Shades of Grey

Fifty Shades of Grey by E.L. James

F_50x66
Apr 20, 12

Read from April 17 to 20, 2012

I think I am reacting so incredibly negatively to this book because it's such a hot item and is on the best seller list, which would make one think that there was something to recommend it. It certainly wasn't the writing style, which seemed juvenile, with repetitive phrases and limited vocabulary. The poor quality was completely distracting. Couldn't be the female main character, who was pathetic, needy, and one horrible role-model for any woman out there today. Couldn't be the male character, who appeared to be every Harlequin romance leading man roled in to one. If he was walking around in real-life, he might be diagnosed as bi-polar. Couldn't be the shock value of the bondage and domination scene - as there was hardly any of that in there, and what was there was so unenticing. Couldn't be the regular sex scenes, lacking imagination and inspiration. Couldn't be the dull one-dimensional characters hanging in the background. I am mystified as to what the big hype was about this book. Definitely will not be reading books 2 and 3.