Little Paper Rose Reviews's Reviews > Catching Jordan

Catching Jordan by Miranda Kenneally

Apr 26, 12

Read in February, 2012

- Review taken from my YA book blog Little Paper Rose

The cover caught my eye, but when learning it was about football I could only imagine someone hitting the snooze button in my brain when reading it. Sports and romance? I’m not so sure.. Well, I ended up picking it up anyway because I really needed something to read.

And it was an amazingly good read.

So good! To anyone who’s hesitating to read this book because of the dominating subject of football - do read it (and I’m speaking from a know-absolutely-nada-about-sports-even-if-my-life-depended-on-it point of view).

I found the story to be original and real and so entertaining. There was never a dull part and I liked that a scene was never dragged out for much longer than needed. The plot was well-built and believable and will take you off guard, with pleasure. Still, the story wasn’t all about football and boys, but also really about finding your path and knowing where you stand.

I totally fell for the characters in the book, all of them - the boys (much love to them), the cheerleaders, even the parents and many of the smaller characters. It was such a real cast - the personalities were attaching and incredibly realistic. I definitely favored Jordan’s friends (mainly how protective they were of her) and her charming best friend, Sam Henry. I couldn’t really put a finger on Ty, but he was worth the time and just about right for the story. Kenneally has done an exceptional job at this.

Jordan is much likely the strongest female lead I’ve read about so far, she’s got this. She can’t be messed with. So determined and down to earth, very much one of the guys but still without being overdone. I loved reading from her point of view, she was not only hilarious but also believable and her voice definitely sticks with you. The only thing I have to complain about is that for the second half of the book Jordan the Strong Female Lead is being quite overly dramatic. I can take two, maybe three events of crying, but this girl was crying a lot - mostly when it didn’t feel necessary at all.

There are lots of boys to swoon over, there’s a conflicting love triangle, humor, and frustration. Ultimately, this is a YA romantic comedy at its best.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Catching Jordan.