Claire Ridgway's Reviews > The Mill River Recluse

The Mill River Recluse by Darcie Chan

Apr 23, 2012

Read from April 17 to 19, 2012

I came across this book accidentally when browsing through the Kindle store for fiction and I'm so glad that I found it. It has a wonderful mix of ingredients - small town life, nostalgia, mystery, love, hate and crime - all blended together beautifully and I like the way that chapters switch between characters and also switch between the present and the past.

Mary McAllister is the Mill River recluse, a woman who lives in her beautiful marble mansion and a woman surrounded by mystery. Her painful past is the reason she has become reclusive, but it doesn't stop her caring about the townsfolk and wanting to know all about them and their lives. She keeps in touch through the only link she has to the town, the priest who has been her friend for decades. The book tells Mary's harrowing story and it also tells the story of the townsfolk: the widowed policeman, the new teacher who's come to the town to forget her past, the lecherous young policeman, the eccentric lady who makes potions, the priest and his unusual habit... They are each brought to life vividly by Darcie Chan.

The Mill River Recluse really is a wonderful read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Mill River Recluse.