Chris's Reviews > Me and Rolly Maloo

Me and Rolly Maloo by Janet S. Wong

Apr 17, 2012

bookshelves: graphic, j, life, not-graphic

I’m trying to decide how I feel about this book; trying to understand my reaction. It’s a mix of things, which makes sense, because the book is a hybrid in a number of ways. It’s about half text and half graphic novel. Half focused directly on Jenna Lee, the “Me” of the title, and half on the other characters. A little more than half of the book’s attention is devoted to the kids involved in the story, but plenty is spared for the adults. It’s technically about cheating on a test, but it’s also about interpersonal dynamics, peer pressure, gossip and rumors, education, respect, bullying, and classism, if not more. There’s so much here--especially for a quick, easy read about fourth graders in a single situation--that’s it’s hard to digest it all.

Rarely have I seen a book for readers this young deal so honestly and directly with adults as flawed, imperfect people no different than their children. I love that as an adult reader; but I’m not sure how kids will react to it. And I’d love to know. Which leads me to a potential conclusion I can state about Me and Rolly Maloo: While I enjoyed reading this book for myself, I think it’s one most ideally read in a group setting. The more I think about it, the more convinced I become that this would make a great choice for a young (or parent-child) book club to read together and discuss. I imagine there would be no end to the discussions that would come out of this book, precisely because it has so much going on in it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Me and Rolly Maloo.