Jennie's Reviews > The Last Myth: What the Rise of Apocalyptic Thinking Tells Us about America

The Last Myth by Mathew Barrett Gross

May 09, 12

bookshelves: 2012, library
Read from April 22 to May 08, 2012

I really liked this book. My favorite genres in fiction books are post apocalyptic and christian fiction mostly about the end of the world. This book definitely put my feet back on the ground when my imagination takes me somewhere else.
It touches on our thinking about the end of the world. It talked about the hysteria of Y2K and the dreaded Mayan 12/21/12 ending. They put everything in a perfect perspective. I always wondered where this whole apocalypse came about and it explains it's origin with the Judeo Christians.
I thought the book was starting to take a turn towards an environmental book half way through but as it gets explained why they go in that direction. It seems our reality is staring us in the face daily and we don't seem to notice. Will we do anything to change it or will we become a society that is described in history that died out? It still makes me think that our society will go out with a whimper rather then a bang.
Recommended

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Last Myth.

04/23/2012 page 50