Anna's Reviews > The Reckoning

Jul 12, 12

bookshelves: historical-fiction, plantagenet, 4-stars, read-in-2012
Read from July 01 to 12, 2012

Rating: 4.5 stars

The final book in Penman's Welsh Princes series is even better than the first two; less political, more emotional, and in the last 100 pages, totally heartbreaking.

Adorable little Llelo from Falls the Shadow has grown up into Llewelyn, Prince of Wales, as courageous as his namesake grandfather from Here be Dragons, and facing the same adversaries in the form of treacherous kin and arrogant kings. And talking of kings, I hated Edward I in this, hated him. What a dirty, double-dealing, unrelenting git.

The book had me in tears twice (view spoiler). Both those chapters were unbearably and beautifully moving, a desperate end to a doomed story. But still there’s more, with Edward’s final acts of spiteful vengeance. I sat in silence for a while after finishing, taking in the full story from all three books, all filled with so much hope and so much sadness.

The Welsh Princes trilogy is one of the best series' I’ve read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Reckoning.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Rio (Lynne) This is at the top of my pile.

Anna I'm excited to read it, but at the same am dreading it. There will be tears.....

Rio (Lynne) That's what Misfit said. I dread the small font :)

Misfit Anna wrote: "I'm excited to read it, but at the same am dreading it. There will be tears....."

Keep the tissue handy.

Rosemary Prawdzik Edward was too much like his grandfather John
Henry II and Eleanor were such amazing people but boy did they mess up their kids...and it continued for 300 years!

Anna I don't know too much about Edward I, but I already have more issues with him than I do with bad grandad John. He's making me so angry in this book!

Misfit I loathed Edward in this book. Absolutely loathed him.

Rio (Lynne) I'm starting it today!

Rosemary Prawdzik It's as difficult to finish as Sunne in Splendor - heartbreaking.

message 10: by Anna (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anna Yay Rio! I'm on page 344 and am loving it, although with the end creeping ever nearer, I'm getting scared to reach it :-(

Misfit Rosemary wrote: "It's as difficult to finish as Sunne in Splendor - heartbreaking."

One of the very few books where I had to set it down and have a good long cry. Just thinking about it brings the tears on.

Rio (Lynne) This will be one I won't be able to read on the plane for sure.

message 13: by Anna (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anna I've just hit the year 1282 with 150 pages to go. Even though I know how it will end, my nerves and emotions are already on edge :-(

Rosemary Prawdzik When you're done with The Reckoning - add Within the Fetterlock by Brian Wainwright to your "to read" lists.
If you haven't already. Sunne in Splendour is set at the end of the Cousins' War. WTF is set at the outset when Henry Bolingbroke usurps the crown - the cast of cousins is somewhat daunting but the time period comes alive with the cast of character-cousins at each others throats!! (And although written by a man, the story is from a woman's viewpoint - a Yorkist no less!

message 15: by Anna (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anna Thanks. I loved Sunne In Splendour and already have Within The Fetterlock on my TBR, but even secondhand it's WAY too pricey. Shame, it looks very good. I'm always looking for books from Richard II through to Henry VI, so if you know of any more, please yell!

Rosemary Prawdzik Anna wrote: "Thanks. I loved Sunne In Splendour and already have Within The Fetterlock on my TBR, but even secondhand it's WAY too pricey. Shame, it looks very good. I'm always looking for books from Richard II..."

I don't buy any of them -- I request them through inter-library loan! You might want to check out that option.
Have you read: The Bloody Field?

message 17: by Anna (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anna Alas, we only have a tiny village library that's under threat of closure.

I've just checked out The Bloody Field and it sounds just the sort of thing I've been looking for, thanks :-)

Any other book suggestions on this subject?