Amy Jacobs's Reviews > Once Burned

Once Burned by Jeaniene Frost

Apr 25, 12

bookshelves: books-i-own
Read in April, 2012

OH. MY. GOD!!!! It is finally here! The book we have all been waiting for in the great world that author Jeaniene Frost has created. We finally get Vlad in all of his sexy glory. I admit that when this book arrived for me to review, I almost fell over from excitement. I screamed in joy, overheated at the sexy cover, and even told my family to get the heck out of the way while I ran for my favorite reading chair. The family went without dinner. They were not allowed to bother me. All regular chores ceased as Vlad arrived in my mailbox.

We start off in the story reading about Leila and her life. She is disfigured due to a freak accident long ago by touching a downed power line and has joined the carnival as an entertainer. She is aware of vampires in the world because her partner for her act is a midget vamp. Don't let Marty's small stature make you think he is a puny vamp though. He is like a Father figure to Leila and he has a heart bigger than most regular sized people.

When Leila is kidnapped by other vampires, she is forced to use some of her other 'gifts' that came about after the energy absorbed from the power line. She can touch things with her right hand and send out electrical shocks. She can also see glimpse's of the past, present and future with a small touch. She pulls these glimpse's from leftover essence that a person leaves behind on things. The vampires that have kidnapped her are working for a stronger vamp who is searching for Vlad. He wants revenge on Vlad and will use any means necessary to get him. When Leila is forced to use her gifts, she is surprised to learn that Vlad can hear her spying on his present. She figures he is the less of the two evils and asks for his help. Vlad comes to the rescue and sweeps Leila away to his castle in Romania so they can work together in finding the bad guy.

As they try to work together, Leila finds herself attracted to the mysterious and ruthless Vlad. He has the sex appeal and strength she craves. Leila has never been in a relationship before due to her 'shocking gifts' and is venturing down a new path with Vlad. Her gifts have no real effect on Vlad and she can't believe how wonderful it feels to touch someone without hurting him. Vlad is his typical confident and arrogant self knowing how he is having an effect on her since he can read her mind. What ensue's is heated glances, confident flirting and a bunch of sexy time!

Oh yes, by this time in the book you are wondering the same thing. Trust me in saying that the author does not disappoint in describing in glorious detail the image of Vlad's body. Before you even ask, yes there is even another hot and steamy shower scene that involves a very excited Vlad. *swoon*

As things get even more dangerous for Vlad and Leila, Vlad brings her family to his castle as well for protection. We get to meet her father and Leila's sister, Gretchen. To see Leila so close to a man is shocking to say the least for them. Especially when they notice Vlad is able to hold her hand with no show of pain.

The author does not disappoint with her flair of hilarity whenever Vlad is around. He is even hilarious when Bones and Cat decide to make a brief appearance in the book. Again, Bones loves to tease Vlad and he grabs the chance to tease at him when he teaches Leila how to block Vlad from reading her mind.

If I had one complaint about this book, it would only be the ending. I can't even really call it a complaint though. The way it ends, you are left hanging with the knowledge that their story is far from over. Since this is going to be at least a two book series, we have to wait until the next book to have some things resolved. This was very frustrating only because we have waited so long as it is for Vlad to have his own book. Now the reader has to wait again!

Overall the story sucked me in, chewed me up then spit me out. It left me wanting to read the story all over again. I wanted Vlad before, but now I need more Vlad. To say it is going to be a long and torturing wait is an understatement. If you haven't read about Vlad before, you are missing out on one of the sexiest alpha vamp's in the paranormal genre!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Once Burned.

Quotes Amy Liked

Jeaniene Frost
“Two Leilas seemed to be battling it out inside me. The first was outraged that he still considered it a fait accompli that I'd give in to him, and the second...that slutty bitch was wondering what Vlad looked like naked.”
Jeaniene Frost, Once Burned

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Marulett Awesome review!!! Can´t wait for this one to come out!!

Laura *Little Read Riding Hood* What books should I read before this one? It sounds like these characters have been introduced before?? Please tell me, as this sounds amazing and I HATE reading things out of order. :-)

message 3: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy Jacobs Laura *Little Read Riding Hood* wrote: "What books should I read before this one? It sounds like these characters have been introduced before?? Please tell me, as this sounds amazing and I HATE reading things out of order. :-)"

If you want the full effect, I would start at the beginning of the Night Huntress series that features Bones and Cat. You can find the series order on here or on her website.

Nefertiti I read the first bit of your review on my homepage and thought, "It came out early? Awesome!" LOL, silly me. Thanks for the review.

Tanya Wires man...I want this book. I knew it would good =) Ugh...it's still such a long wait. Thanks for your review.

Michelle Can u please tell me how u got this book early I would kill to read this right now

Mandi Laura *Little Read Riding Hood* wrote: "What books should I read before this one? It sounds like these characters have been introduced before?? Please tell me, as this sounds amazing and I HATE reading things out of order. :-)"

If you haven't already done so, you need to read the entire Night Huntress series. The books and reading order are on Frost's website @ http://jeanienefrost.com/ There are also a couple of side books that go along with the characters in the series that you want to read as well. I personally am in love with all the characters in these books and yearn for more insight to each one. With that said.. Happy Reading!!

Melissa Thank you for your excellent review! Of course, now I want to read the book even more; if that's possible. I can't wait for the book release! I've had it purchased on Pre-order since it first became available! :)

Jessica You did a wonderful review that made my mouth water and beg for the release date to come sooner.

message 10: by Émeraude (new)

Émeraude Perfect, I need read book now!!

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

I've been waiting on this book for the last week... constantly looking on my doorstep. Apparently I thought it was released the 26th of May. I'm a little disappointed right... okay, more than a little.

message 12: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy Jacobs Annie wrote: "I've been waiting on this book for the last week... constantly looking on my doorstep. Apparently I thought it was released the 26th of May. I'm a little disappointed right... okay, more than a lit..."
AWWW....so sorry...One more month though. It is worth the wait!

Shari Great review! Thanks for the update.

message 14: by Samantha (new)

Samantha whats the age rating for the authors books?

message 15: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy Jacobs I would say older teen and above due to some hot scenes

message 16: by Samantha (new)

Samantha and what would be the good age for that, if you don't mind me asking

message 17: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy Jacobs Well I would let my sixteen year old read it but that is my personal opinion. So 16 and above.

message 18: by Samantha (new)

Samantha okay thank you :)

message 19: by Lili (new) - added it

Lili I am dying to read this book! seriously. Ugh it's gonna be forever and a day before I finally get it somehow

Joellefriedman this seems soooooooooooooooo amazing and good. I wonder if theres a way to rate it more then five starts because i guarentee you ill be looking to find a way.

♥Linsey Pop♥ - mybooksnthings.com Just finished reading it.. LOVED it! and I do not know if I'm going to remain sane while waiting for book 2!!!