Girish's Reviews > The Book Thief

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak

Apr 25, 12

bookshelves: read-in-2012
Read from April 17 to 25, 2012, read count: 1

Death: "I'm haunted by humans!"

I had never read a book which narrated the events through a Reaper/Death's perspective. It surprised me to see how much I loved this book! The book is about growing up during a horrific time (Holocaust), learning what is right and what is wrong, and ultimately it teaches one to appreciate what little time we have to live on this Earth. I had a wide range of emotions wrestling inside me while reading it. Zusak's writing is wonderful and doesn't rely on mystery or shock to hook the reader in, yet makes the story so compelling that even when you have been forewarned as to what will happen, you can't help but shed a few tears and say goodbye to the characters whom you feel like you have known your whole life. Instead of being detrimental, the threat of death looming over certain characters exponentially increased the sense of dread and anticipation at the same time. This is one of those rare books which I plan to revisit again after a few years.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Book Thief.

Quotes Girish Liked

Markus Zusak
“Like most misery, it started with apparent happiness.”

Markus Zusak
“I am haunted by humans.”

Markus Zusak
“Humans, if nothing else, have the good sense to die.”

Markus Zusak
“I carried [Rudy] softly through the broken street...with him I tried a little harder [at comforting]. I watched the contents of his soul for a moment and saw a black-painted boy calling the name Jesse Owens as he ran through an imaginary tape. I saw him hip-deep in some icy water, chasing a book, and I saw a boy lying in bed, imagining how a kiss would taste from his glorious next-door neighbor. He does something to me, that boy. Every time. It's his only detriment. He steps on my heart. He makes me cry.”

Markus Zusak
“She leaned down and looked at his lifeless face and Leisel kissed her best friend, Rudy Steiner, soft and true on his lips. He tasted dusty and sweet. He tasted like regret in the shadows of trees and in the glow of the anarchist's suit collection. She kissed him long and soft, and when she pulled herself away, she touched his mouth with her fingers...She did not say goodbye. She was incapable, and after a few more minutes at his side, she was able to tear herself from the ground. It amazes me what humans can do, even when streams are flowing down their faces and they stagger on...”

Markus Zusak
“A snowball in the face is surely the perfect beginning to a lasting friendship.”

Markus Zusak
“Even death has a heart.”

Markus Zusak
“If only she could be so oblivious again, to feel such love without knowing it, mistaking it for laughter. ”

Markus Zusak
“A small but noteworthy note. I've seen so many young men over the years who think they're running at other young men. They are not. They are running at me.”

Markus Zusak
“How about a kiss, Saumensch?"

He stood waist-deep in the water for a few moments longer before climbing out and handing her the book. His pants clung to him, and he did not stop walking. In truth, I think he was afraid. Rudy Steiner was scared of the book thief's kiss. He must have longed for it so much. He must have loved her so incredibly hard. So hard that he would never ask for her lips again and would go to his grave without them.”

04/18/2012 page 25
04/19/2012 page 86
16.0% "The cover is a genuine work of art! I'm in love with this book already!"
show 3 hidden updates…