The Sleeping Pooh's Reviews > Natural Born Charmer

Apr 17, 12

bookshelves: books-i-would-love-to-marry, books-that-actually-sit-on-my-shelf
Recommended for: EVERY HOPELESS ROMANTIC
Read in April, 2012

I JUST LOVED IT SO MUCH THAT I'M SO FILLED WITH GIDDY HAPPINESS RECALLING EVERY SWEET MOMENT BETWEEN DEAN AND BLUE. *insert heartsssss*

AND NOT TO MENTION THIS MADE ME LAUGH SO MUCH.

This is the best Susan Elizabeth Phillips book I've ever read. So far.

And, possibly arguably, the best book in the Football series. Though I've only read the last three.
"Natural Born Charmer" is embedded with Susan's trademark pattern that I've gotten accustomed to from my fair share of SEP-novel-reading. I've noticed that alongside the main love story, there is always a supporting love story that portrays older-generation characters related to the leads. There's always that family problem that affects the hero and the heroine which is oftentimes the cause of their weakness and insecurity. The villain, which you're supposed to hate, ends up winning your heart and sympathy because Phillips also showcases their lives and the troubles that have shaped their artificial rude exterior; she shows you the real person behind the villain's bravado. Her stories have just the right mix of romance, family, self-fulfillment, humor and that Cinderella-like fairy tale ending.

One of the main factors that has distinguished this novel from the rest of the series is the fact that I've CRIED—many times. Yes, lame, I know, but family reconnecting is more emphasized here than on the other books (but that doesn't mean it takes away some of the romance!). You'll totally fall in love with Riley, an eleven-year-old girl who's somewhat related to Dean Hot Stuff Robillard (worshipping later). Riley is such a lovable character and she is the one who made me cry. I think that she played a really vital role in reconciling Dean's family. This girl has the heart of an angel and the fierce determination of a tigress. Phillips wrote Riley’s scenes with such expertise that it really seemed like it was an innocent, wounded child talking.

The heroine, Blue, knocked me off my feet (and just imagine how much effect she has on Dean).
SHE’S AN EMBODIMENT OF WOMEN’S STRENGTH AND COURAGE.

Okay, that may have been a bit of an exaggeration there but seriously, Blue Bailey is one of the most remarkable heroines I’ve ever read about (even better than the other SEP novel heroines). She has just the right amount of character. She has spunk, she’s brave, she’s fierce, she’s realistic, she’s dignified, she’s smart and funny and sarcastic, which just makes her all the more sexy. She’s just averagely pretty and she doesn’t even have a supermodel body but Dean Robillard, the HOTTEST NFL QUARTERBACK, fell in love with this homeless/penniless/jobless artist—which just proves that personality is really the key to winning a man’s heart. Not to mention she cooks really good food. There wasn’t a moment when I thought that she was being over-the-top with her pride or that she was just being plain ridiculous or that she was too corny. She doesn’t even mind one bit about fashion; she stands up for the people she cares for; she has some really good opinions; she can put up a terrific verbal spar; and blah blah blah—WHYDONTCHAJUSTGRASPTHEFACTTHATSHEISAMAZING? Blue is just one of those ordinary people and the glare of Dean’s good looks, fame and money makes her feel so out of his league. But life’s sardonic circumstances draw them together and underneath all the façade, you are left with two individuals who magnificently complement one another and who can understand each other’s life experiences so perfectly. And on this note, I shall stop my rant on how much I adore Blue because honestly I can’t help but relate with her in so many ways more than you can count.

Next stop: DEAN—OHMYGOSHOHMYGOSHOHMYGOSH—ROBILLARD! (I swear, the only thing lacking here is a big heart doodle.) He is like, sun-scorching hot, has knees-melting charm, insanely rich, heartbreakingly vulnerable, and just every bicep the man that girls mooned over but really, no one ever catches. I first read about Dean in the preceding book “Match Me If You Can” and even then, he already caught my attention although I was naturally more attracted to Heath at that time because of course, Heath was the hero in that novel. But despite his supporting role, Dean made me laugh so much that if I knew him personally I would have undoubtedly fallen in love. HE WAS JUST SO FUNNY. I can’t enumerate all those hilarious scenes because that’ll be one hell of a list but there were these lines from MMIYC…

“The front door blew open, and Mr. Hot Shit Robillard waltzed in alldecked out in Oakleys, diamonds, and cowboy boots. He gave a two-finger wave like the fucking king of England.”

Please don’t ask me why I’ve cracked up so much at that line (I’m a weirdo—hey, just like Blue). Proof that Dean Robillard’s charm is so lethal that it’s leaking out of my laptop screen.
I won’t bore you with a summary since the other reviews already provide more than enough of that and also because I need to prevent this review from becoming a three-page essay. This is a book that I lost one night of sleep for; that turned my eyes into waterfalls; that dug a distant hole in my heart and kindled an unknown love for innocent, helpless children; and whose love story has a modernized classic plot that makes a girl believe in Prince Charming’s, or rather, Dean Robillard’s.

A MUST-MUST-READ FOR EVERY HOPELESS ROMANTIC OF THIS TIME, OF YOUR GRANNY’S TIME, AND OF YOUR PET ROBOT’S TIME.

Take my word for it. And if it turns out otherwise, you can sue me. I do have an imaginary lawyer.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Natural Born Charmer.

Quotes The Sleeping Pooh Liked

Susan Elizabeth Phillips
“Do you really expect me to fall apart every time another woman throws herself at you? Because, if that's so, I'll be a nervous wreck before the honeymoon's over. Although, if they do it in front of me..."
He went still. "Did you just propose to me?"
She bristled. "Do you have a problem with that?"
The scoreboard lit up, and he gave the world a high five. "God, I love you.”
Susan Elizabeth Phillips, Natural Born Charmer

Susan Elizabeth Phillips
“Who the hell is that?!
Some call her Satan. Others, Beelzebub. She goes by many names.”
Susan Elizabeth Phillips, Natural Born Charmer