Coleen's Reviews > Witch & Wizard

Witch & Wizard by James Patterson

Apr 17, 12

Read in June, 2011

Written for a young adult audience, I'd say Patterson needs to avoid this genre in the future. This read more like a book for an older child or tween. As a 40-something adult, I enjoy a fair amount of young adult fiction & there are some good writers of it out there. Patterson is not one of them.

The plot itself was borderline okay. Teenage brother & sister discover they're a wizard & witch, respectively, as they're kidnapped from their home by the newly formed dystopic government, the New Order. From there they slowly discover their powers as they try to escape prison & save their missing parents, as well as all the other kids who have been wrongly imprisoned for ridiculous "crimes". I generally like books with short chapters, and Patterson is known for these. However, these chapters are 1-3 pages in length & each "break" is more of a distraction than anything. Some chapters are told from Whit's point of view, and some are told from Wisty's (I hate that name, by the way). But they don't necessarily alternate back & forth -- sometimes there are several chapters from one point of view, and then it switches. It creates confusion for the reader more than anything. There's also a section at the end that parodies contemporary books, music, etc. with a "New Order" take, and that just didn't seem to fit with the rest of it. I can't see a child or tween reader getting any real appreciation out of it.

I'm usually a sucker for series books (as this one is), but I don't anticipate reading any further in this one.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Witch & Wizard.