Coleen's Reviews > The Effects of Light

The Effects of Light by Miranda Beverly-Whittemore

Apr 17, 12

Read in September, 2011

9/9/11 - I liked this book a lot -- more than I'd expected to. I wasn't going in with bad expectations, but I wasn't familiar with the author & hadn't really heard any hype, so I wasn't sure what to expect, but I was pleasantly surprised. Told from alternating viewpoints of two sisters, one in the present & one in the past, the story is gradually unfolded and presents a complicated and somewhat controversial subject matter. The two sisters, as children, are the subject of a family friend's artistic photography. Because many of the photos include the girls without clothes on & because the photos are eventually publicly displayed, there are varied opinions expressed by the public. There's a lot to this story, including some mystery, so I don't want to reveal much as far as storyline. I like the fact that it was a multi-layered novel, but that's also one thing that I think wasn't quite pulled together as well as it could've been. It seemed some aspects of the novel really didn't add much to the story and were almost unnecessary. I also found the main character a little bit fickle with the way she built relationships with people -- one minute acting one way, and then changing her mind the next. But overall, an impressive and enjoyable debut novel. Also should prompt good discussion.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Effects of Light.