Coleen's Reviews > A Home at the End of the World: A Novel

A Home at the End of the World by Michael Cunningham

Apr 17, 12

Read in January, 2010

1/6/10 - An interesting story involving somewhat of a non-traditional love triangle. I liked the fact that the author was willing to explore a relationship such as this. It's not something one sees in everyday life & it makes the reader pause & think, "Hmm....why not?"
However, I felt this book was missing something -- passion, perhaps. The only times I found myself really engaged were in two instances, both when there was a confrontation between two characters & they really allowed their emotions to explode to the forefront. Otherwise, despite the fact that Cunningham chose to alternate character points of view in each chapter, I never really felt like the reader got to know each character. They (the characters) all seemed rather shallow, despite the attempt at fancy prose. And I never really did understand why the few chapters from Alice's point of view were included, as I didn't think they added a particularly necessary point to the story. I had mixed feelings about the ending. It was not exactly what I was expecting, which is usually a good thing, but I thought it fell rather flat & that was disappointing to me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Home at the End of the World.