Amy Saia's Reviews > Fabric

Fabric by Jessica Bell

Jun 06, 12

bookshelves: to-read

In an appealing format with Greek text sprinkled throughout, Fabric is a beautiful new poetry collection from prolific musician and author, Jessica Bell.

I've always been jealous of poets. And more than that, those with such a lyrical ability to capture life on page in the same simplicity that I might take a breath. I'm jealous of people like Jessica Bell. In Fabric, page after page, she transcribes her life down to the simplest detail with an eye of grace. Each poem averages the length of one page, just enough to tell a story in a few seconds. She covers her life in Greece—little things like butter knives, women making baklava, flying scarves, skinny dipping in blue waters. She captures it all with her own style of femininity and a little touch of morbidness that sometimes equates to humor, sometimes sadness.

Perhaps because of her musical background, Jessica Bell has a lovely way with alliteration. Her words smack like bubble gum, and deliver the tiny intricacies of everyday life in flowing, beautiful form. It was a pleasure to read.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fabric.