Spuddie's Reviews > Sacrilege

Sacrilege by S.J. Parris

Apr 30, 12

Read from April 17 to 25, 2012

Third in this series featuring Giordano Bruno, an ex-monk with radical ideas who has been pursued for heresy, he now works for the French ambassador and is secretly an agent of Queen Elizabeth I's spymaster Sir Francis Walsingham. Sophia Underhill, the young woman Bruno protected in the last book and whom he was in love with, finds him and implores him to clear her name, as she is accused of killing her magistrate husband.

With Sophia disguised as a boy, they are soon are off to Canterbury with Walsingham's blessing--since he's going to have Bruno doing his own investigation into a possible plot against the Queen, which leads to him investigating a possible revival of the cult of Saint Thomas A. Becket, who was himself murdered in the Canterbury Cathedral in the 12th century.

This book was probably better than I gave it credit for...it's just that I seem to have stumbled upon a large number of Elizabethan books lately, and everyone and his brother seem to be spies for Walsingham, so I was not as enthralled as I might have been. It was not really a "thrilling" book as advertised--the culprit was rather easy to deduce, and I found Bruno's constant mooning romantically over Sophia to be rather tiresome and a convenient excuse for his not picking up on the rather obvious clues left by the author. The reader (John Lee) was good though, and he did a variety of accents very well.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sacrilege.