Roy Klein's Reviews > Joel on Software

Joel on Software by Joel Spolsky

Mar 14, 13

Read from January 26 to March 14, 2013

This is the first positive review I'm giving while still reading a book. First of all, to fully enjoy the book I feel like I have to read it in tiny tiny chunks to let the content sink in, thus it's taking forever to get through it. The second reason is that it has been so consistent in writing level and quality of content that I am certain it will continue that way until the end.

In a nutshell, this book is a series of blog posts, written and curated by a known software persona. It deals with everything a software developer is likely to encounter during their career: Technical , managerial and business issues. All subjects are treated with a writing style that cuts to the heart of the matter with light humor and strong metaphors.

There are two reasons that this book doesn't deserve the fifth star:
1) Most of the articles were written over 10 years ago.
2) I am not entirely sure whether Joel's ideas seem so compelling because he is right or because he knows how to sound like he's right.

For these reasons I try to force myself to take everything with a grain of salt, a somewhat fun-spoiling effort.

If you've been in the software business for some years, this book will speak to you. Get it, enjoy it, but don't take it too seriously.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Joel on Software.

02/18/2013 page 200