Booksy's Reviews > Aberystwyth Mon Amour

Aberystwyth Mon Amour by Malcolm Pryce

Apr 21, 12

bookshelves: read-2012
Read from April 17 to 22, 2012

This book had all the ingredients of a superb work of literary fantasy thriller: imaginary world, comic dialogues and quite idiosyncratic characters and fast-paced plot. And yet! The practice showed that when you mix Chandler, Terry Pratchett and Jasper Fforde, the final results could be quite below the catching-your-breath excitement when opening the first page. It just didn’t work together: it simply wasn’t original. It picked up towards the end and the revelations of the mystery works in favour of the book, and yet, it was not enough for me to rush to the bookstore (or, rather to my computer) to order the next installment.

I picked this book thinking that in case my ultimate literary fantasy hero – Jasper Fforde – runs out of steam one day, or writes less frequently, I will have another super series on the go to look forward to reading, but it taught me a lesson: don’t go for your favourite writers’ replacement while they are still around and producing amazing pieces to the joy of their fans.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Aberystwyth Mon Amour.

04/20/2012 page 60

message 1: by Jay (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jay Paget I liked the amount of silly humour in this book, by 2 he is running out of steam. Fforde wins hands down