sylas's Reviews > Self-Made Man: One Woman's Year Disguised as a Man

Jul 16, 07

bookshelves: started-never-finished
Recommended for: No one.
Read in August, 2006

This book infuriated me. I would like to give it negative 3 stars. Unfortunately that's not possible.

Vincent makes broad generalizations about various groups of people based on their gender, race and class. I found her perspective to be incredibly elitist and classist; her analysis of her experience "living as a man" is deeply rooted in her unexamined privilege as a middle-class, non-disabled white woman.

My fury kept me from completing this book. The final straw came when she disgustedly referred to a potential date with the slur "liminally autistic". I literally threw the book across the room.

Read it if you want to, of course. Just know I thought this book was offensive trash.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Self-Made Man.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lara (new) - rated it 1 star

Lara THANK YOU! I hate this book so much that I presented on it at a women's studies conference. A male friend of mine, who had not read it, gave it to me as a birthday present, claiming it would help me understand men better. I find this the most ironic gift I have ever received.

I threw it across my room, too, but it was when she said men needed to have sex with strippers because they resemble "real [people:] as little as possible". UGH!!!

Robin Loveman You got further than I did. When she said that female models are made to look like adolescent boys because the fashion industry has so many gay men, I wanted to throw it across the room, too (but I was reading on my tablet, so I didn't). And even before that, when she used the men's bowling team as an example of how all men are, then compared them to the wealthy teenage girls at a tennis camp and used them as an example of how women act? Ridiculous.