Rob's Reviews > The Outlander

M_50x66
Aug 31, 08

bookshelves: fiction
Read in August, 2008

I was tricked into reading this book. For whatever reason, I don't read a lot of women writers. After reading reviews (many of which compared the book to works to "Cold Mountain" and works of Cormac McCarthy, I picked up the book. I was very surprised to find out that Gil was a woman. However, that being said, I'm glad I did. This is the story of a widow on the run across the turn of the century west from her two brother-in-laws after she murdered her husband. During her journey she encounters memorable characters as details of her past are unveiled. Early on it reads a lot like "The Road" because of its simplicity of language and lack of detail, and given the time period and characters encountered I can understand the comparison to Cold Mountain. And, interestingly, without a jacket cover photo, I could have gone through the first half of the book believing that this was written by a guy. However, half-way through, the point of view turns distinctly feminine, which is actually kind of a nice surprise. Overall, this was a pretty compelling read due to its simplicity of language and intriguing plot.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Outlander.