Ashley Barna's Reviews > Amelia Bedelia Helps Out

Amelia Bedelia Helps Out by Peggy Parish

Apr 16, 12

bookshelves: easy-reader

I have loved the Amelia Bedelia series of books since I was in elementary school. I have always thought she was such a hoot! Peggy Parish does an excellent job making up a character that grabs readers attention and keeps them laughing along the way. In this story, Amelia Bedelia Helps Out, she is asked to do many deeds. She needs to weed the garden, stake the beans, and even make a tea cake. Since Amelia Bedelia loves to make people happy, she does exactly what she is told. So, Amelia puts weeds in the garden, ties stakes to the beans, and puts tea in the cake! This book will have children laughing so hard and being entertained by Amelia's silly ways.

I think this story, or any Amelia Bedelia story would be great to use while doing a lesson on idioms. This way students can see what an idiom is, and how sayings do not always make the most sense. These stories would be great becasue Amelia is actually taking these idioms seriously, even though she is not doing what people are wanting her to do.

The illustrations in this story go great with the stories and follow Amelia as she tries to please Aunt Effie Lou. Amelia is just a hard worker who wants to please everyone. Wonder what she will do next?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Amelia Bedelia Helps Out.