Megan Bernhard's Reviews > Where the Red Fern Grows

Where the Red Fern Grows by Wilson Rawls

Apr 16, 12

bookshelves: eced-221

This book is a story about a boy named Billy Coleman who has dreamed of owning coonhounds to hunt in the woods by his house his entire life. He worked hard to earn money by selling goods until he was able to buy two coonhounds. He trained his new dogs for the upcoming hunting season because he wanted them to be great hunters. Billy and his dogs experience love and trust for each other through their adventures in the hunting season. This story is written in a way that pulls the reader into the emotions of the characters and allows you to experience the relationship as though you were a part of the book. Billy’s character is believable because you are able to grow with him through the story as he matures on his adventure and the reader can relate to this because appropriately aged reader are started to plan ahead of time and are learning new experiences in their lives. There is conflict in this story that is believable and those of which readers could relate with. I think the theme of this story is one that will continue to be relevant through new generations of readers. Readers experience love, relationships, heartbreak, and adventure. I related to this story through the relationship between Billy and his dogs because I am very close with my dog. I think it is important to use this story in the classroom and for students to learn about working for things they want most in life. This story could be used throughout many lessons in the classroom.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Where the Red Fern Grows.