Ally's Reviews > The Glimpse

The Glimpse by Claire Merle

Apr 21, 12

bookshelves: kindle, netgalley, young-adult, imports, debuts, fiction, series, mental-illness, dystopia
Read from April 12 to 18, 2012

When I first read the synopsis of this book, I was intrigued and worried: intrigued by this new dystopian concept and worried that I would be offended or put off by the way that people predisposed to mental illnesses are written about. In this future, anyone with genetic predisposition to any mental illness is not Pure: they are Crazies. And they are not allowed to live near the Pures. Ana is pure, or at least she thought she was until her retest revealed an anomaly. It's all she ever wanted: to live in the Community, to bind with Jasper. But when Jasper disappears, the she goes to great lengths to find him make her reevaluate her life in the Community, and the very society she lives in. The way that Crazies are treated, especially in horrible facilities like Three Mills, are reminiscent of treatment of mentally ill individuals in years past. Infused with British slang and locations that Anglophile teens (and adults!) will love, this book is fast-paced, thrilling, and important. Though some parts seem a bit far-fetched, including the not very fleshed out Project and the way the actual Glimpse is described, the justified indignation of the characters make up for it: these emotions ring true. Our teens need to read and talk about the stigma surrounding mental illness, and this is a good start.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Glimpse.