Karen's Reviews > Swampland Flowers: The Letters and Lectures of Zen Master Ta Hui

Swampland Flowers by J.C. Cleary

Apr 16, 12

If you have to read one book on Zen . . . No, scratch that. If you have to read one book, read this. Hands down, the most penetrating, clear, unequivocal, brilliant truth that you can actually live by. Informal teachings and personal letters from Ta Hui, a relatively modern master (1089-1163), primarily to lay practitioners. Very useful life advice and encouragement. Totally, vibrantly relevant and life-altering. Nothing more to say; I've already said too much.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Swampland Flowers.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by John (new)

John Pappas I love collections of letters from Zen teachers to lay-students. A wonderful example of where face-to-face is not always needed or even optimal. Pure-Land Zen, Zen Pure-Land: Letters from Patriarch Yin Kuang is one of my favorites (and free online).

message 2: by John (new)

John Pappas Ah crap, it is from Cleary? He could write a bodice ripper and I would read it.

Karen One of the Cleary brothers. Letters of encouragement do just that, and we all need encouragement to leap from the net.