7hir7een's Reviews > All These Things I've Done

All These Things I've Done by Gabrielle Zevin

Apr 16, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: read-in-2012, dystopian-and-post-apocalyptic, stars-3, series-finished
Read from May 29 to June 03, 2012

★★★½ -- All These Things I’ve Done is not what I would call a great literary accomplishment. The author’s writing is somewhat simplistic, but this is partially offset by the fact that it seems like Anya herself is telling her backstory. At least that’s what I assume, given the few side notes scattered throughout the story. When I think back, I feel as if there was a lack of world-building, at least in a memorable way. The society is a dystopian one, where vouchers must be obtained to get supplies and stimulant-containing chocolate and coffee are illegal. However, this is basically backgrounded — the story is about Anya and her family, seeded deep in crime.

While I wouldn’t go all out on praises for the author’s style and world-building, I will say this. Gabrielle Zevin created a fun book. This novel is a quick, enjoyable read. I found the premise interesting, the conflicts Anya had to deal with entertaining, and I enjoyed the characters of Anya and her family and friends. I’d recommend this to fans of contemporary fiction, particularly of a romantic line. At it’s heart, All These Things I’ve Done is a story about a girl — and whether she will do what she wants, or what it is her responsibility as a member of the Balanchine family to do.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read All These Things I've Done.

03/21/2016 marked as: read