Samantha Sheeran's Reviews > Who Shrank My Grandmother's House?: Poems of Discovery

Who Shrank My Grandmother's House? by Barbara Juster Esbensen

F 50x66
Apr 16, 2012

it was ok
bookshelves: poetry-book

Who shrank My Grandmother's House? by Barbara Esbensen is a collection of short poems. The poems are mostly about random things such as: pencils, doors, and sand dollars. However, some of the poems are about deeper topics such as: friends and a Grandfather.

Although the poems in this book were good, I really did not enjoy it that much. Maybe it's because I'm a kid at heart, but the reason that I didn't enjoy it was because none of the poems rhymed. I also don't believe that children would like these poems for that very same reason. I did like the message behind the "Pencils" poem. I think it would be a nice inspirational poem to read to young children who were just learning how to write. I enjoyed how the author described a pencil as "noisy words yell for attention." I thought the metaphors in the poems were clever but I found them hard to read and to keep rhythmn with. One thing that I did like about this book were the illustrations. They were all very bright and went along perfectly with each poem. For example: the poem titled "A Question" was about a white bird being shown through a prism and turning into one cardinal, one bluebird, and five parakeets. The picture that went along with this poem showed all of the birds brightly colored, and it really stood out. Another image that stood out in my mind was the image that went along with the poem titled "Old Photograph Album: Grandfather. I really liked this illustration because it actually looked like real pictures from an old photo album. Although, I don't believe that young children would enjoy this book, I do believe that this book would be a useful tool in teaching different types of poetry to older students.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Who Shrank My Grandmother's House?.