Michelle's Reviews > The Song Remains the Same

The Song Remains the Same by Allison Winn Scotch

Apr 16, 2012

bookshelves: 2012, contemporary-fiction
Read from April 16 to 22, 2012

Allison Winn Scotch writes the perfect all-access fiction. Her stuff does not take itself so seriously and is not so stuffy and trying-to-be-highbrow that the casual beach reader can’t fully enjoy it. On the other hand, people that are super picky about their fiction, who need to have heft and heart and depth (such as myself!) can also find much to admire and love in her books. There are very few writers I’d recommend to all the people in my life: my mom, my book club, my friends who read only on vacations, my super serious reader friends. Scotch is the rare writer who can appeal to all tastes.

This is one of her best. Nell Slattery wakes up from a plane crash with partial amnesia. Indeed a concept that has been broached before but in this author’s hands it takes on whole new life. I was completely there with Nell…I felt her frustrations, her angst, her struggles as she tried to figure out what was real, not to mention the initial guilt she felt as a “survivor.” In other words, Nell what the hell are you complaining about, you survived? Of course the point being we can all still have big problems even if there are people with worse issues. I enjoyed the overall themes here, the questions about our memories and the extent to which we let other people define us. The music angle is terrific and I have no doubt the right songs would shake something loose in a patient like Nell. It also made me think a lot about the role music has played in my own life. Very well done, as usual.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Song Remains the Same.