Rachel Tsoumbakos's Reviews > Circe

Circe by Jessica Penot

Apr 16, 2012

bookshelves: horror, mental-asylum, psychological-thriller, thriller
Read from April 12 to 16, 2012 , read count: 1

Sanity gone wild!

I picked up this book because of the paranormal element to it. What I loved the most, however, was the character interaction. To be perfectly honest, I was a little disappointed when the paranormal part arrived. I was so lost in the characters and all their problems and flaws, that I didn't want an easy explanation and that is what the paranormal aspect felt like at the start.

Thankfully, the author managed to rectify the situation by creating that fine balance between the real world, the make-believe world of the insane and the existence of paranormal world interwoven between the two. It is very easy to get lost amongst the three and the line is often blurred which adds extra elements of surprise to the story.

I love the way the author creates moments of regret as well as the impending loss and imminent doom of a flawed main character that knows he is risking everything. Penot's descriptives are at times so mouth-watering that there is never enough words on the page to be devoured.

The only real fault I found with this book was the constant time frame issues. Were these a reason not to read the book? Absolutely not! Just be aware that they are there and enjoy the rest of the crazy ride!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Circe.