Erik Graff's Reviews > Extract from Captain Stormfield's Visit to Heaven

bookshelves: literature
Recommended to Erik by: Lajla Stousland
Recommended for: Twain fans
read count: 1

My grandmother introduced me to Twain. She didn't do it directly by shoving his books at me, but indirectly, simply by having them around her cottage in Michigan. What I started with weren't the common Huck Finn and Tom Sawyer things. They came, but only later, in high school. What she had on offer were his later, darker works.

It's been quite a while since I read Stormfield, but I still remember the satisfaction Twain's ridiculing of Christian notions of heaven and the afterlife gave me. I'd never really believed in the Easter Bunny, the Tooth Fairy, Santa Claus or the Christian God, but I'd been hesitant to admit it publicly. The rabbit, fairy and Xmas stuff were for kids, stupid ones at that, but the God thing was something grownups sometimes talked about, something which many families went out to listen to stories about every Sunday. It, God, was different, a taboo, albeit highly suspect, topic. Twain, however, being famous, made skepticism respectable, even quite fun.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Extract from Captain Stormfield's Visit to Heaven.