Michelle's Reviews > Glamorous Illusions

Glamorous Illusions by Lisa Tawn Bergren

Apr 18, 2012

bookshelves: advanced, x-2012, ereads, all-stars
Read from April 16 to 18, 2012

4.5 stars, but 5 will do!

Let me first start out by saying, “I HEART LTB!” I recently read her River of Time series and it fast became one of my favorite series ever.

When I had first read the synopsis to “Glamorous Illusions” I had a pretty good feeling I wanted to read it, but was still unsure. I’m a huge fan of historical fiction, but the early 1900s period has never really appealed to me. However, when this book became available on Netgalley I knew I had to snatch it up. And boy, am I glad I did!

Cora Diehl is a farmer’s daughter who hails from a small town in Montana. Upon returning home for the summer, she finds her father and her family’s farm both in a state of deterioration. It's not long before a stranger comes to call and announces that he is her true, biological father. Mr. Kensington, a wealthy man in the copper industry, invites Cora to spend her summer in Europe on a Grand Tour, in an effort to get to know her half-siblings and to gain her own independence. Over the next several weeks, we spend time with Cora as she travels alongside her companions, assisted by a pair of hired guides, Will and Stuart.

This book is wonderful! I’ve always been interested in Christian fiction, but am very wary of my selection, as I’ve read books by other authors who spout religious beliefs like Niagara Falls. But, Ms. Bergren’s writing doesn’t make me feel smothered by hardcore preachings in any way. There is just the right amount and it truly gets me thinking...

The pacing is perfect; I never found myself bored at all. The pages seemed to turn of their own accord. Additionally, I found that even though there are SO many characters introduced, each of their personalities is so distinct that I had no trouble keeping track of them in my mind.

Anyone who has read a series by Ms. Bergren knows that her books end too soon, and I am DYING to read book two. I have to know what happens in the second chapter of Cora’s adventures. I understand the books in the Grand Tour series were to initially be titled “From This Day Forward,” “To Have and To Hold,” and “As Long as We Both Shall Live.” They have since been changed to “Glamorous Illusions,” “Grave Consequences,” and “Glittering Promises.” I’m quite fond of the title revisions as they will certainly appeal to a wider audience.

I am not fond, however, of the new release dates! All three were meant to be released by Spring 2013, following a similarly quick timeline as her River of Time series, except it seems the publishers at David C. Cook got smart and are making us fans wait in AGONY until Spring 2013 for “Grave Consequences” and Fall 2013 for “Glittering Promises.”

Regardless, I will be counting down the months until then!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Glamorous Illusions.

message 1: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Bergren Thanks so much for being one my first GLAMOROUS reviews, Michelle!

Michelle You're very welcome! Thanks so much for the opportunity.

Lydia I love that you let us know when to expect the next books in the series! I'm reader Glamorous Illusions now and loving it. This is the first time I've read a book by Lisa Bergren but I plan to look into her other books now. :)

Michelle Lydia wrote: "I love that you let us know when to expect the next books in the series! I'm reader Glamorous Illusions now and loving it. This is the first time I've read a book by Lisa Bergren but I plan to look..."

Thanks, Lydia! So glad you're enjoying it. I'm planning to work through more of Lisa's books as well. I have a pretty good feeling they'll be just as wonderful. :)