Christi's Reviews > The Dressmaker

The Dressmaker by Kate Alcott

Apr 18, 2012

Read from April 16 to 17, 2012

Maybe it is the mystery surrounding the Sinking of the Titanic, maybe it is the struggle between classes or the adventure of starting fresh. Or maybe it is fact that an amazing story will always draws you in and makes you want more. Whatever the reason, I hated putting this book down.

The great tragedy of the Titanic may have happened 100 years ago in history, but Kate Alcott took me back to that time with such skill. The magnificence of the boat has never been lost on anyone, and the loss the of the rich and poor alike makes it so much more then a disaster.

The Dressmaker is a captivating story that bounces between perspectives helping to round out events, yet there is still so much mystery as to what actually happened. I was Tess as she took up the oar with Mrs. Brown. I felt for Jim as he stood up for what was right. As the story unfolded in Pinky Wade's eye's it did before mine as well. I felt the hatred for the Duff Gorden's no matter what the perspective I was reading.

There was friendship, loss, hatred, and above all fear and guilt. The fear of coming so close to death and the guilt for surviving. In the end, just as Miss. Stacy, from Anne of Green Gables, says "the truth will set you free".

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Dressmaker.

Quotes Christi Liked

Kate Alcott
“You have to humor them you know." Lucile sighed lightly as the door closed. "Men can be boring, but they are necessary. One needs to learn to work around them. Don't you think so?”
tags: men

Kate Alcott
“My dear, here is lesson number one for using opportunity; waste no time on false humility. Tell the world about your achievements don't wait for someone else to do it.”

Kate Alcott
“What did it clarify for you?" Pinky asked.
Mrs. Brown laughed. "Told me to keep doing and saying what I dam well please, and not be bamboozled by anyone. Life is too short - no mulling things over for a dozen years or so. What about you?"
"I wasn't on the ship”