Tony's Reviews > The Sugar Frosted Nutsack

The Sugar Frosted Nutsack by Mark Leyner

Apr 16, 12

bookshelves: fiction-mainstream
Read in April, 2012

THE SUGAR FROSTED NUTSACK. (2012). Mark Leyner. *.
This got a fairly good review in the NYTimes Book Review, but for the life of me I can’t figure out why. I have to admit that it didn’t pass my 50-page sniff test, other than it smelled bad from the outset. The author devised a silly set of gods who do silly things for no apparent reason. After fifty pages of this rambling attempt at humor, I gave up. I should have known better. On the jacket cover, there is a blurb by Gary Shteyngart (whoever he is) that reads: “America should treasure its rare, true original voices, and Mark Leyner is one of them. So treasure him already, you bastards.” Isn’t that a terrific blurb? Makes you want to dive in and devour the book. Others might like this book, but I didn’t like what I read up to before I no longer felt obligated to be pandered to by an author who actually had no idea what he might have been writing about. I’m sure he has an audience out there, but all you’ll see of me is my empty seat.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sugar Frosted Nutsack.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rebecca (new) - added it

Rebecca Gary Shteyngart is one of my favorite contemporary authors. Pick one of your favorite russian authors mix in a little kafka & throw in some tom robbins,shake don't stir. hahahahah. They are wild rides. I really like both the russian debutante's handbook & super sad true love story.

message 2: by Tony (new) - rated it 1 star

Tony Rebecca wrote: "Gary Shteyngart is one of my favorite contemporary authors. Pick one of your favorite russian authors mix in a little kafka & throw in some tom robbins,shake don't stir. hahahahah. They are wild r..."

If Gary writes in the same style as Lerner, I won't approach him. If he tends to make more sense, then I'd welcome your recommendation of titles I should pursue. Thanks for your comments. Tony