Suzyn's Reviews > Stay Close

Apr 16, 2012

did not like it
bookshelves: books-that-sucked, murder
Read in April, 2012

The worst crime novel I've read in years, and I've read a great many.

First off, the writing is so incredibly cornball that I had a minor following on twitter just tweeting the worst examples of it and making fun of them.*

Secondly, If you think you know who did it like 1/4 of the way in, you're right but the author adds an extra cup of cheesy pathos to the motive that undermines the only thing that was even mildly interesting about the killer.

Thirdly, the characters are flat and somewhat silly. The worst offender is the husband, who pouts and gives the silent treatment and generally acts like a seven year old because his wife was out past 1 a.m. (And yes, she'd told him she would be out late, she's just apparently the only woman in New Jersey with an immaturity-enforced curfew.) I was really, really, hoping he'd get killed off. Also, there's a guy named "Flaire" who wears a purple suit and jokes about S&M and taking bubble baths with Hugh Jackman, because like every woman in this book is incredibly physically attractive and kinda slutty, the gay guy has to be super-duper over the top gay.

Run away. Run FAR AWAY from this book.

*E.g. "the stale stench of hairspray and regret drifted toward him" is not the corniest line in this book. Indeed, the corniest line in this book is so incredibly bad you wouldn't believe me if I wrote it here.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Stay Close.

04/08 marked as: read

message 1: by Louise (new)

Louise Oh, come on! Now you HAVE to post the corniest line in the book!

I actually thought the "stale stench.." line WAS the corniest line!

Your review is dead on. I'd also like to mention there are some plot points never resolved. Like...who, really, are Ken and Barbie? Did Goldberg get his? Why was Ray so shocked at seeing the age-progressed photo of Stewart Green, when he didn't know and was never told who the photo was of?

message 3: by Cathleen (new)

Cathleen Louise wrote: "Oh, come on! Now you HAVE to post the corniest line in the book!"

I agree :)

message 5: by Chad (new)

Chad That sucks. What if Harlan Coben had a minor following on his twitter account just tweeting the worst poses you and your second chin and having the followers constantly making fun of them? That's not very nice.

Suzyn If I were a professional model, I'd expect that to happen. He's a professional writer.

Shelley Watson Just ok. The author left some questions unanswered. It seemed as though the book ended without being fully resolved.

Robert Palmer Spoiler alert. Lots of other issues with the book. I enjoyed reading it and gave it 3 stars but, why did Lorraine invite Cassie to her killing spot? If Ray and Cassie had not fled wouldn't they have realized the text was not from Ray? How come in 17 years nobody looked down the well? What was the subplot about Megan's mother in law about, just to add some pages?