Shannon Kitchens's Reviews > Love and Leftovers

Love and Leftovers by Sarah Tregay

Apr 16, 12

bookshelves: top-picks-of-2012, contemporary-teen
Read on April 16, 2012

I was a little skeptical of this book, but upon seeing a positive review of it, thought I'd give it a go. I have to say, I'm impressed.

Despite the cute cover and catchy title, this is not a happy go lucky book. The tone is quite dark throughout.

The poetry is a little rough at first, and I have to admit that by "Long Shot" on pg 5, I almost put the book down. The poetry was weak, and a bit too forth coming for my tastes. But, I thought I'd let it go a little longer...

I'm so glad I did. The poetry improved as the book went on, often times being quite clever. Though, sometimes, it's a bit too narrative for verse. The emotion in this book is so real, I kept flashing back to high school. I'd felt what Marcie had felt. I had even tried to write them down as poems. Though I'll admit, my teenage verse would not have been as well executed as Ms. Tregay's. (view spoiler)

I think this book works so well is that the Verse format is so well suited to this subject matter. There's a lot of heavy handed emotional things going on, that if there had been the many words of prose would have made this story unbearable. The concise nature of verse really captured the emotions and thoughts of a teen.

I think this is a great book for all teen girls. Highly recommend.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Love and Leftovers.