Bonnie's Reviews > The Book Thief

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak

Aug 27, 08

bookshelves: historical-fiction

This book may seem like just another WWII horror story but it is so much more. Narrated by death himself (sans sickle), the story follows a little German girl whose mother gives her to a foster family under the pretense of not being able to feed her any longer, later the girl realizes that her father was a communist and both her parents most certainly did not survive the Fuhrer's purging. Some of her days are so full of sorrow and grief that it's unbearable, yet other days are so full of joy and humor that she's like any other pre-teen in any other neighborhood in the world. What I especially loved was the girl's obsession with books and words. She is a literal book thief; she can't seem to keep her hands off them after her kindly foster father teaches her to read. While "death's" writing style is a bit different, this is definitely a MUST read for any book lover. I thoroughly enjoyed the entire thing and was sincerely touched. I don't give out 5 stars often :)

Note: this is the first of many Holocaust books I've read that shows the war from the perspective of a German non-Jew. It was very interesting to see how it all affected normal German civilians. It simply reminded me that war is horrendous on all fronts.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Book Thief.