Lynn's Reviews > One Perfect Word: One Word Can Make All the Difference

One Perfect Word by Debbie Macomber

Apr 22, 12

Read from April 16 to 22, 2012

One Perfect Word is a non-fiction book. The premise is that you choose (or rather God chooses for you) one word each year on January 1st, and this becomes your word for the year. You meditate on that word, which is usually a character trait, attribute, or positive action, for the entire year, and make journal entries about your experience. Debbie has been doing this for over 30 years. She is also a devout Christian, with a very strong faith walk. She gets up at 3:30 am each morning to spend an hour with God before beginning her day, which includes reading the Bible and praying.

The book is filled with the inspirational stories of others, often in the authors' own voice, as well as Bible scripture. While as a Bible-believing Christian this was great for me, those of other faiths might not get as much enjoyment from this book. Or, it might touch their hearts, who knows? I mention this only so that the reader is aware of the particular religious bent of the book.

In addition to this, I learned a lot about Debbie's life that I didn't know, and developed a new respect for her. I've read almost all of her works of fiction, and they are always light and entertaining reading. This book is far from light reading, but it is entertaining and inspirational.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read One Perfect Word.