Kai Gomes's Reviews > The Ruins of Gorlan

U 50x66
Apr 16, 12

Ranger’s Apprentice: Ruins of Gorlan
Written by John Flanagan

Along with Jenny, Horace, Alyss and George, Will is an orphan in Castle Redmont. At age 15, the orphans are expected to either become an apprentice of one of the masters of the castle or go off to work in the fields as a farmer. After much suspicion and curiosity of his own, Will is chosen to become the apprentice to Ranger Halt, a legend to the people of Araluen. Rangers are the intelligence force and unofficial "police" of Araluen. They have mastered the art of unseen and unheard movement, camouflage, knife throwing, knife fighting skills and long-range weaponry, specifically the long bow. However, Will is too small and weak to use a long bow, so he uses a recurve bow. This is a bow that curves in the opposite direction at the ends. After being an apprentice for a few days, Halt takes Will to see his new specially bred Ranger’s horse Tug. With Tug, Will trains in the skills needed to pass his assessment at the annual Ranger meeting called The Gathering. The Gathering however is cut short with rumors of Morgarath's two underlings (ugly creatures that look like a mix of ape and bear and walks up-right called Kalkaras) breaking through the Three Step Pass, the only known access into Morgarath's lair in the Mountains of Rain and Night. The first Kalkara is killed by Halt’s friends Baron Arald and Sir Rodney. After hunting the Kalkara down and being separated from his mentor, Will slays the other Kalkara with a burning torch, making it burst into flames saving Halt, Baron Arald, and the master of the Battle School, Sir Rodney.

5 Star Rating

I gave this book a 5 star rating because I thought it was a very good and unique book. It wasn’t like the run-of-the-mill fiction books that have to do with magic and dragons. Most of the events were quite realistic and could have possibly happened in the past. It took place in the medieval Europe where there were knights, barons, castles, kings, etc. I liked how the author had the idea to create a new never before seen character, a ranger, unlike wizards or demigods that are popular in other books. I’m not discrediting the books that do have known characters, some of them are my favorites, but it was amazing how he created Rangers with so much abilities. They have uncanny accuracy with bows and arrows, have reflexes like cats, and basically blend into shadows and surroundings. One of my favorite parts in this book was when the main character Will shot the flaming torch at the Kalkara, bursting him into flames. There are currently 11 books in the Ranger’s Apprentice series, and the author John Flanagan is still writing more. There are rumors that he is making 20 books. I have currently read all 11 books and they are just as good, some even better than this one. I highly recommend this book to all readers; this book has no specific genre, but can be considered adventure fiction. Some other series that I recommend that are a little bit similar to this one are the Kane Chronicles, The Heroes of Olympus, and the Harry Potter series.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Ruins of Gorlan.