gabrielle's Reviews > The Wild Life of Our Bodies: Predators, Parasites, and Partners That Shape Who We Are Today

The Wild Life of Our Bodies by Rob Dunn

Apr 16, 2012

bookshelves: science, post-apocalyptic
Recommended to gabrielle by: myrmecos, I think
Recommended for: everyone who has any interest in what it means to be alive.
Read in April, 2012

This book is, in essence, about what it means to be human: "...our bodies and lives only make sense in the context of other species."

It completely blew me away. (I am going to buy it next time I'm at Powell's, and I'm a die-hard library user.)

Unlike Dunn's other book (_Every Living Thing_), which I also loved, you do not have to be a biologist or even a scientist to maximize your enjoyment here. _The Wild Life_ is much more accessible to the layperson. I'm recommending it to pretty much everyone. (Yes, even you.) There are lots of amazing new ideas here, and new research for those of you that don't keep up with the latest (like, our appendix actually has a purpose!)

I love Dunn's writing style. He roams seemingly all over, and you're like "dude where are you going with this" but he brings the topics neatly back to his original point, so you don't feel lost for long. I picture him teaching, scrawling all over every available whiteboard, and drawing arrows back to previous topics with an "and so!" flourish of the marker.

I also thing it'd be great to go out to the pub with him and listen to some of these stories. ("Hey, I did not need to know the thing about lice in the eyelashes! Ew!" "I know, right!")

1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Wild Life of Our Bodies.

Marilyn Now YOU can be the one in the pub telling the stories! It worked for me.